Table of Contents
VA Form 26-8261a Printable, Fillable in PDF – VA Form 26-8261a, Request for Certificate of Veteran Status, is an official form that must be filled by veterans who need to verify their military service and eligibility. If you want to take out a loan that the Federal Housing Administration guarantees, you must apply for this certificate (FHA). As of July 1, 2016, this form was declared obsolete by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), making all earlier iterations outdated. You may get a copy of VA Form 26-8261a by clicking on the link below.
Instructions For Completing VA Form 26-8261a
To complete the Request for Certificate of Veteran Status, follow the procedures outlined below:
- Fill out the form with your name, date of birth, and current mailing address.
- Confirm your want to acquire documentation of your veteran status, which you will use to negotiate the terms of your FHA loan with a possible lender later on.
- Keep a record of the time you spent on active duty. Fill up the blanks with your name for each period – it must be the same as the name on the discharge papers included in the request.
- Input your social security number or service number, and note the branch of service where you worked throughout each period.
- If you have previously submitted a claim with the VA about the certificate, enter the claim number in the appropriate field.
- When asked whether you are an active military member or if you were on duty the next day after separation as stipulated in your discharge papers, respond affirmatively.
- Verify that the information in the request is accurate, and then sign and date the paper.
- If you want the certificate to be shipped to someone else, provide the recipient’s name and address in the message box.
Once the request has been prepared, refer to the second page of the form to determine the correct mailing address for Form 25-8261A – the Regional Loan Center to which you should send the form is defined by your current residential address. Once the request has been prepared, refer to the second page of the form to determine the correct mailing address for Form 25-8261A.